Jeffreys Bay is jam-packed with with all the fun, food and thrills you can handle this December!
In recent years, the festive season has highlighted Jeffreys Bay as a tourist hotspot for locals and internationals alike, thanks not only to the beauty of the bay but the scintillating festive schedule of events on offer.
In fact, thanks to the throng of activity in the region over December, Kouga Municipality is going all out to launch Jeffreys Bay and surrounds as the Events Capital of South Africa.
Whether it’s food, fun, music or the outdoors you fancy, this sample of the J-Bay line-up for December will give you some idea of everything this pristine and totally happening town has to offer, along with the surrounding towns.
What and where:Milkwood Market, between the GLA School and Fountains Mall
Date: Every Saturday
What’s going down: This family-friendly farmers’ market houses flowers, fresh produce of all varieties, food and more in a relaxed, outdoor, farmstall-like venue. It’s a favourite with locals and tourists alike who also come for the hand-made artisanal goods while listening to the latest in local music talent. Stall prices are low, enabling exhibitors to make a profit while passing on their cost-savings to visitors, who return faithfully time and time again.
Price: There is no entry fee to enter the market.
What and where:St Francis Park Runs, St Francis links
Date: 52 weeks a year, every Saturday at 8am
What’s going down: These 5km runsare a great way to maintain or improve your fitness level whether you run, walk or crawl it.
Price: Park runs are free across South Africa. Register here: https://www.parkrun.co.za/register/
What and where:Jason Oosthuizen & Band – Bryan Adams Tribute at Stoked About Summer Music Festival, St Francis Brewpub
Date: 15 December, 8.30pm to 11.30pm
What’s going down: St Francis Brewpub is the home of not only some of the best pub food and custom beer in SA, but also the home of the best talent in the Stoked About Music Festival line-up. This time behind the microphone it will be a Bryan Adams tribute from Jason Oosthuizen & Band who has played to sold-out venues around the country. An enthralling night of rock ‘n roll from on of the greatest rock artists of our time awaits. Jason will cover legend Bryan Adam’s biggest hits and have you rocking the night away.
Price: R150; book via https://www.quicket.co.za/events/92008-bryan-adams-tribute/#/
What and where:St Francis Annual Summer Sport Series
Date: 16 to 31 December, kicks off with the canal swim
What’s going down: Calling all runners, cyclists, paddlers and swimmers. If being active is your lifestyle, this sporting series for both amateurs and serious sporting fanatics will serve up all the muscle activity you can handle:
- Monday, 16 December 8am Summer Series Canal Swim (bank2bank, 500m, 1km, 2km, 3km), Quaysyde, St Francis Bay.
- Tuesday, 17 December 8am Summer Series Road Run (5km, 10km), Cape St Francis Resort.
- Wednesday, 18 December 8amSummer Series Duathlon Swim & Run (500m swim/3km run, 1km swim/3km run – teams or individuals), Quaysyde, St Francis Bay.
- Thursday 19 December 8am Summer Series Trail Run (5km, 15km), Eskom Conservation Reserve, Duneridge Country House, St Francis Bay.
- Friday 20 December 8am Summer Series Triple Challenge (Swim, Run, Paddle) (500m/1km swim, 3km/6km run, 3km/5km paddle), Quaysyde, St Francis Bay.
- Monday, 23 December 8am Summer Series Extreme Duathlon (5km trail run/15km MTB or 10km trail run/30km MTB) St Francis Field.
- Friday, 27 December 4pm Endless Summer Open Water Swim 2,3km, Port St Francis – Granny’s Pool, St Francis Bay. Haydn 074 603 9311. Reserve days 28, 29, 30 Dec.
- Monday, 30 December 8am Pam Golding Quadrathlon (500m swim, 12km cycle, 3km run, 3km paddle), Quaysyde, St Francis Bay.
- Tuesday, 31 December 8am Summer Series MTB Challenge (15km, 30km), Eskom Conservation Reserve, Duneridge Country House, St Francis Bay. Esti 073 825 0835.
In addition, there are three charity runs for runners, walkers and supporters:
- Tuesday, 24 December 8am Talhado Charity Road Run (5km, 10km), Cape St Francis Resort. Call 042 298 0054.
- Thursday 26 December 7pm Chokka Trail Full Moon Run (5km), Cape St Francis Beach in aid of Beach Clean-up. Call Esti on 073 825 0835.
What and where: St Francis 9th Annual Food & Wine Festival
Date: 19 December, 2pm to 8pm
What’s going down: Treat your tastebuds to artisanal food fare and wine from no fewer than 20 wine farms while being entertained by the Grosvenor Road Band. This staple on the St Francis Bay calendar has grown to become a not-to-be-missed afternoon for the whole family, as kids’ meals are on offer for the little ones, who are welcome to goof around while the adults indulge in the fun with a touch more sophistication! In the true spirit of festive giving, this is a food and wine festival with a cause as it’s held to benefit the Hospice Kouga Region.
Price: R150, including your tasting glass
What and where:Bottomless Coffee Band December Concert Tour, Jeffreys Bay
Date: 19 December, 8pm to 10pm
What’s going down: In the mood for folk pop infused with some classical and blues tunes? This talented duo with their mastery of an array of instruments make for quite an unforgettable live performance.
Price: R150; book by calling 042 940 0165
What and where: Seekoeirivier Wine Festival, Happy Hippo, 2.4km outside Paradise Beach towards St Francis Bay
Date: 21 December, 10am to 6pm
What’s going down: This is the tenth installment of this popular festival. Most of the wines on offer are represented by the winemakers from farms and boutique cellars themselves, lending a touch of exclusivity and bringing a richer dimension to the wine-tasting experience. Craft gin will also be available to purchase, widening the scope of the festival. Expect live entertainment as well as kids’ entertainment, a cheese zone and fascinating taste experiences from the various food stalls.
Price: R185 per person when booked via www.quicknet.co.zabut tickets cost slightly more when paying at the festival. Kids enter free.
What and where:St Francis Annual Fly-In, St Francis Field
Date: 27 December, 7.30am. In the event of bad weather, this will happen on 28 December.
What’s going down: A delight for anyone who loves airplanes and aviation, and a fun spectacle for the whole family. Watch as various aircraft fly in and show off their ‘moves’ in this much loved aircraft-lovers’ gathering.
Price: Contact John on John 082 652 6601
What and where:Hankey Jazz Festival, Yellowwoods
Date: 31 December 2019
What’s going down: Yes, J-Bay has its very own, much loved jazz festival. So loved is this festival that this year, the Kouga Local Municipality has applied for extra funding to guarantee the best countdown to the new year the region has to offer.
Price: No info available as yet
If you’ll be joining any of the events, be sure to contact us to make a booking at Supertubes Guest House for an unforgettable stay in Jeffreys Bay!